Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Must-haves for the Gal with Thin hair


Im all about helping my hair the natural way! However until it gets back to the point where Im satifsied - here is a list of my favorite products that will help you feel and look your best. I recommend not using them too often, but for summer weddings or fun date nights they definitely come in handy.


(If I know I am going to a special event I try and give myself a hot oil hair treatment the night before. However If I am pressed for time or just lazy..the following will still get you lots of compliments)


1) If you want volume then hot rollers are going to be your best friend. They really lift and add loads of body. I currently have Conair Super Jumbo hot rollers and they seem to work just fine. It contains 12 rollers and it comes in two sizes: jumbo and super jumbo. If you have very short hair this may not work for you so I would recommend some variety with the sizes. Larger rollers give you more lift and volume whereas the smaller ones give you more curl. You can find a lot of great videos on youtube if you are unsure how to use hot rollers.


2) Rootlifters are a MUST! Sally Hersherger Supreme Lift Normal to Thin hair.
This stuff is AHHH-MAZING!!! I cant even describe how MUCH volume you'll get from using this product. Side story: First time I used this I thought the more the better and like most things it may not even work. So I went in for overkill and was on my way to a wedding..What a big mistake! If there was such a thing as too much volume thats the problem I had. Unmanageable volume! So now I use this more as a root lifter and spray close to the scalp on the areas that need a boost. It has a slight hold to it as well so I would be cautious if you plan on using it with hairspray. You can get it at Walgreens or Ulta. My ONLY downside to the Sally Hershberger Supreme Lift is that it makes my hair look a bit dull. But at times when I want to straighten my hair this really amps up the volume!


3) Thickening Serum - Redken Thickening Lotion 06
Loveeee this product! I rarely travel without it. It not only gives you volume at the roots but makes hair feel thicker. It is a sticky serum-like substance and when you apply it to wet hair it tends to coat the hair (not in a gross waxy way) and remains feeling thicker. You only need a dime size amount to achieve good results. Start at the roots and whatever products is left on your hands just simply run it through your hair. Use this with Sally Hershberger rootlifter and you MAY complain of too much volume...if there was such a thing! 


4) Mane N' Tail Conditioner
Yes yes I know the label says its for animals...BUT, this really might be my all time favorite conditioner. It makes my hair SUPER shiny and very very soft! I've heard that not everyone has good results from this because it really depends on your hair type but if you can afford to try it out - I definitely think its worth a shot. If all else fails, you can save it for your pet. 


5) Nioxin Cleansing System
Check out their website and go through the survey to figure out what "System" you would need. I was a number 2 and went ahead and purchased the shampoo, conditioner and scalp therapy. I thought the scalp therapy was kinda...garbage.  Its makes your hair really stiff - so its not like you can run it through your hair and out the door. I felt like the shampoo did a pretty good job...its just a bit pricey which is why I dont repurchase it too often. However it does give you volume and a thicker 'feeling. A couple of my friends have tried it out and said they liked it. The ingredients list boasts a lot of natural substances which is what had me sold. A few people have experience some regrowth of hair after using Nioxin, I personally never used it long enough.....and have better results with my all time favorite Jamaican Black Castor Oil (I also have a post on that - Jamaican Black Castor Oil)



No comments:

Post a Comment